News‎ > ‎

U21s Advance in First Round of Duhallow Championship

posted 11 Mar 2013, 10:39 by Kanturk Gaa

Kanturk 3-14   Kiskeam 0-10                                                                                                                              In Kiskeam on 8/3/13 @ 8pm

A brace of goals just before half time paved the way for a Kanturk victory over Kiskeam in the 1st round of the Duhallow U21 A Football Championship. In fact up until the visitors grabbed their first goal, Kiskeam had held their own throughout and were trailing by just a single point at the 29th minute, 0-6 to 0-5. However in the closing stages of the 1st half Kanturk finished much the stronger scoring 2-1 just before the interval. The 1st decisive goal came after midfielder Ian Walsh caught a Kiskeam kick out to set the attack in motion, picking out half forward Olan Daly who layed it onto the on coming Ciaran Boyce, who in turn passed to Kanturks other midfielder Alan O’Keeffe to cooly finish past the Kiskeam keeper. From the resulting kick-out Kanturk once again regained possession resulting in a point from that man again, Alan O’Keeffe. In the dying moments of the half Kanturk set a strong attack in motion, corner forward Ciaran Boyce playing a neat one-two with Alan O’Keeffe to hit the Kiskeam net once again and leave the score 2-7 to 0-5 in Kanturks favour at the interval.

The first half was an enjoyable game of football with both teams employing an attacking brand of football, taking full advantage of the extra space created by playing 13-a-side. Ian Walsh slotted over the first score of the game in the 2nd minute and doubled Kanturks advantage in the 5th with a pointed free. Kiskeam hit back in the 6th minute from a free, Kanturk had to wait a further 9 minutes before the hard work of Olan Daly resulted in the raising of a white flag. The home side would hit back with a brace of points within a minute of each other to leave the score at 0-3 to 0-3 after 17 minutes. The game really sprang to life with 5 points being scored between the 20th and the 28th minute. Kanturk gaining 3 of those scores, another free and a point from play for Ian Walsh, and tireless half forward Paul McNamara grabbing his 1st of the game. Kiskeam were battling hard and also grabbed two points, one from play and the second from a placed ball. It was in the last 3 minutes of the half when Kanturk got the vital two goals to go 8 points ahead at the half time whistle.

Kiskeam hit the ground running in the second half, looking to eat into Kanturks eight point lead by making a few positional changes. Credit to them they grabbed the first 2 scores of the half in the 33rd and 34th minute, both from play and if it wasn’t for Kanturks shot stopper Donnchadh Kenneally saving at point blank range on two separate occasions the deficit would have been further reduced. The young Kanturk side responded with four un-answered points between the 39th and 43rd minute another two frees from Walsh, Mark Healy grabbing his first of the game and Daly taking his personal tally to 0-2, Kanturk moved the ball long and fast into the full forward line of Boyce and Sean Kerrigan, taking advantage of the extra space in the full forward line. The Kanturk defence started to get on top their Kiskeam counterpats, Darren Browne and Shane Walsh solid in the full back line, getting in vital interceptions. But the real launch pad for many Kanturk attacks came from the hard running of their half back line, Ronan O’Sullivan, Joe Carver and in particular Lorcan O’Neill setting up fast moving attacks. Which resulted in Kiskeam having to wait until 47th minute for their next score. Moving into the last ten minutes of the half Kanturk still held the advantage 2-11 to 0-8. Kanturk did not let up in the final stages, again finishing strong scoring 1-3 and only conceding 2 points. The goal coming from substitute Danny Geaney in the 60th minute, a long ball from Walsh in midfield causing trouble in the full back line, Daly challenging bravely with the keeper and full back with Geaney to capitalise on the breaking ball and getting a poachers goal. Walsh also added another 2 points, one from a placed ball and one from a well struck 45. Mark Healy also grabbed his second of the game in the last 10 minutes. Kanturk running out impressive winners 3-14 to 0-10. Kanturk advance into the semi-final of the competition with their opponents unknown and plenty of hard work to be done on the training pitch, Kiskeam go into the backdoor with a tie against Pobal Ui Chaoimh (Ballydesmond and Knocknagree).

Kanturk: 1. Donnchadh Keneally 2. Darren Browne 4. Shane Walsh 5. Ronan O’Sullivan 6. Lorcan O’Neill 7. Joe Carver 8. Ian Walsh (0-8, 5 frees, 1 45) 9. Alan O’Keeffe (1-1) 10. Olan Daly (0-2) 11. Mark Healy (0-2) 12. Paul McNamara (0-1) 13. Ciaran Boyce (1-0) 15. Sean Kerrigan (Danny Geaney (1-0) 50th min)